Monday, August 3, 2009

Look what I found!

Unpacking has never been so profitable! Digging through some old file folders in our new home, which had previously been stacked up in a storage space, and before that had been in a damp basement, I came up on a patriotic looking envelope...

Inside were two $50 savings bonds, one dated November 1976 and the other December 1976. They were gifts to me months after I was born, one from each set of my grandparents!


The bonds were purchased at $37.50 each, and they matured quite some time ago. We took them to the bank to cash them in, and over the past 32 1/2 years, they earned $476.38 in interest.

With each bond now worth about $275, I ended up with $550 in hand!

We deposited the cash into our new joint savings account -- for the time being. Since they were gifts from my grandparents when I was born, we decided to pass it on to our daughter when she's born. So as soon as she has a name and a Social Security number, we'll use the cash as seed money for her soon-to-be-set-up college fund!

It'll be a little special gift from her great-grandparents. I'm sure they wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment