So it's about time I let you all know what I'm reading.
We have five books: four for me and one for Papa Bean. I plan to order more, but for now, these books have kept us entertained and informed about all the ins and outs of pregnancy!
The first two books are both comprehensive reference guides to pregnancy. I could have ordered just one, but I couldn't decide. In the end, I am glad that I have both because they are a little different in their approach and, taken together, really contain everything you might need.

What to Expect When You're Expecting
The index on this book is great! When I had the stomach flu, this was the one place where I found the information I needed when I needed it (while I was waiting anxiously for my doctor to call me back). The chapters are long and filled with good details. I don't like how it's broken into months and not weeks and I'd like more details on the baby's growth each week.

Your Pregnancy: Week by Week
I love reading this book every Wednesday, which is the day we officially "turn" another week along! I also love the descriptions and how the chapters are easy to digest and marked week by week. Plus, the book offers a new exercise for pregnant moms each week and tons of "Dad Tips." It doesn't have quite the breadth of information as "What to Expect," so I am glad I have both.

The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy
I am three-fourths of my way through this book and it's a stitch! The author cracks me up and I certainly appreciate her candor. I don't agree with everything she says (she's not a fan of exercising while pregnant because you're going to get fat anyway), but I appreciate her perspective. It's not a comprehensive guide, but it's fun to read and compliments the more serious guides.

Belly Laughs
I am also about three-fourths of my way through this book and I love it! The chapters are very short and you could finish this in one sitting easily. I am reading it like eating a chocolate cake - one or two chapters at a time to make it last longer. It's hilarious! I love McCarthy's stories, like her hot tub scare and peeing on the side of the road. They leave me shocked and laughing out loud!

My Boys Can Swim!
This is the book that Papa Bean picked out. It's a short read that is not comprehensive and dwells on odd things, like weird baby names. But then, it's written by a guy for guys! It also has details about what we women are going through, so that's good. Papa Bean seems to like it and I hear him laughing when he's reading it, always a good sign.
Like I said, I am collecting a list of baby books that I plan to order, such as Baby Bargains, Eating Well When You're Expecting, Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads, and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. It never ends!
If anyone has recommendations for additional books, you know that I'm all ears! (er, eyes)
No comments:
Post a Comment