Friday, April 3, 2009

Good news on our AFP test!

My doctor's office just called this week to tell me the result of the test they ran on the blood they took from me during our appointment last week. And it's good news!

The results from my AFP Test were negative, meaning I have normal levels!

This test measures the amount of alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) produced by Lima Bean's liver and passed into my bloodstream. High levels of AFP may suggest the possibility of a neural tube defect, such as spina bifida or anencephaly (a serious central-nervous-system defect). Low levels of AFP could indicate Down syndrome.

During last week's appointment, I went over the list of everything I have been tested for. Here goes:

All pregnant women are routinely tested for all STDs, such as Hepatitis-B, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and HIV. Not surprisingly, I was found negative for all of them.

My urine culture and pap smear came back normal and the level of hemoglobin in my blood, which tests for anemia, is also normal. Additionally, I was found to have a normal Rh status and an O+ blood type. And I'm immune to Rubella. So all that's good stuff.

Our first big round of testing was at Week 12 when we went in for my First-Trimester Screening, which includes an NT Scan and a blood test. The NT Scan involves an ultrasound in which a technician measures a thin layer of fluid that accumulates in the back of the baby's neck, called nuchal translucency (NT). Increased fluid could indicate an increased risk for chromosomal abnormalities such as Down syndrome, congenital heart defects or other genetic disorders. The blood test, combined with the NT measurement and the mother's age (32) can provide a risk assessment for Down syndrome and trisomy 18. My risk came back as being 1 in 10,000 which is the best risk assessment you can get! So that's good stuff too!

I was then tested at Week 13 for Cystic Fibrosis and that test came back negative, another good thing!

Due to the good results from the First-Trimester Screening and NT Scan, the fact that I am under 35 years of age and not of Sephardic Jewish descent (so the chance of my carrying Tay-Sachs is nearly nonexistent), we decided to forgo Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS) and Amniocentesis, which are both invasive tests that could have a 1 in 200 rate of causing a miscarriage.

Our next test is a Level 2 ultrasound on April 15th! This is a routine test, also called an "anatomy scan," in which the doctor can check the baby's development. It allows the doctor to measure the size of the baby and check out all the major organs, such as... THE SEX OF THE BABY! We can't wait.

In short, everything has been progressing normally and all the tests that we've had have been great. We feel blessed and are looking forward to meeting our fabulous little Lima Bean!

No comments:

Post a Comment