Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The baby crib hunt has started!

And ended. I hope!

Without even stepping foot into Babys "R" Us or any of those insane baby mega-stores, I think I have already found what to get - the Graco Lauren crib, which goes for $150-200! It's safe, stylish, affordable, and recommended by the authors of Baby Bargains. Perfect!

This book, Baby Bargains, is now in its 8th edition, which just came out this year. It is a 600-page long manual that guides new parents through the maze of baby equipment shopping by telling you which things you need (crib, dresser that doubles as a changing table, glider rocker), which things are a waste of money (stand-alone changing table, diaper stacker) and which brands are the best.

According to this book, I really need to get a jump on ordering baby furniture, like the crib, because it could take weeks for these items to be delivered. So I am reading all about baby cribs, which come in all sorts of colors and styles.

In terms of cribs, they give furniture from high-end stores like Pottery Barn (Grade: C), Restoration Hardware (Grade: C) and Baby Gap (Grade: F) horrible marks for selling trendy cribs that are poorly made (particle board) at exorbetant prices.

For quality and value, they recommend cribs made by Munire, Westwood and Creations. But the best budget crib is the Graco Lauren or Graco Sarah, which is actually made by Bonavita. The same cribs are also sold under the brand Babi Italia, Scandi and Europa Baby.

Basically there are static cribs and cribs with drop-side rails or fold-down rails. The authors of Baby Bargains recommend AGAINST fold-down rails because older babies can use the edge of the rail to climb out of the crib. But static cribs are hard to put a sleeping baby into. So I'm going to go with a drop-side rail. (For a static crib, the authors of Baby Bargains actually recommend the Gulliver crib from IKEA, which is only $99!)

Another consideration in crib shopping is whether or not you want a convertible crib. A what? Yes, many cribs now days can be converted from a crib to a toddler bed to a full or queen-size bed. I suppose your kids could even take their crib to college and beyond... Um, yeah.

(If you read this far, I'm impressed! Bet you didn't know crib shopping could be this complicated...)

But, seriously, is a $99 or $200 crib really as good as a $999 or $1,200 crib? Actually, yes. All cribs sold in the U.S. must conform to the same set of safety standards. And when it really comes down to it, isn't safety the most important element in a crib? So as long as you stick to an all-wood crib that is stable and purchased new (buying a crib is NOT a place where you can save money at garage sales), it should be just fine.

Now the only thing left to go see the Graco Lauren crib in person and then decide is WHICH color to get it in?! Espresso, Walnut, Natural or White?

No comments:

Post a Comment