Sunday, March 8, 2009

Took my first prenatal yoga class

This afternoon, I finally worked up the courage to check out the prenatal yoga class at Flow Yoga Center, the studio across the street from our condo. I have been practicing yoga there for about four years, so I was curious if I would get any looks walking into class with my little pooch of a belly hanging over my cute Lululemon yoga pants.

To my surprise, my "pooch" was NOTHING compared to what most of the other women in class were showing off! There were 10 of us and -- other than one woman who was 11 Weeks along and not showing yet -- everyone else looked pretty close to popping.

So, needless to say, the class moved a bit slow. It was kind of like a stretch class. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It might be great when I'm a little farther along and having trouble doing much else? Still, there were some very cool elements to the class.

I liked how at the start of the class our instructor told everyone to put one hand on our heart and one hand on our belly to connect our beating heart with that of our baby's.

And it was interesting how at the end of class we did some chants because supposedly the vibrations are soothing to the baby. I wonder if any of the ladies who were father along felt any movement or kicks when we did that?

The class meets every Sunday at 3:30 p.m. I'd like to try it again with the regular instructor (today we had a sub) and see what she's like.

Another option is to sign up for a 6-week candlelight pre-natal yoga series (with the regular instructor) that will meet every Sunday at 6:30 p.m. (Cost $108)

Considering that we're pretty busy on most Sundays going to open houses, this might be a nice option. I also like how it would be the same group of women each week so that you are practicing with more of a community than on a drop-in basis.

As always, let me know what everyone thinks! As you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment