Friday, March 20, 2009

On a wait list for day care

This might surprise you, but among pregnant women, this is probably the second if not first question I get asked. The conversation goes something like this:
Pregnant Woman: Congratulations! When are you due?

Momma Bean: Thanks! I'm due September 2nd...

Pregnant Woman: So have you found a daycare yet? How many wait lists are you on? Have you thought of doing a nanny share?
Thankfully, this is one area where Papa Bean really stepped up to the plate. Left to me, I'd still be blissfully meandering thorough my pregnancy oblivious to the reality that day care, unlike most things in life, is apparently something to get worked up about.

I was barely 13 weeks along when Papa Bean brought home the paperwork to get us on the wait list at the day care center where he works. Never mind that the paperwork had a blank for the baby's name, Papa Bean assured me that we could still get Lima Bean on the waiting list.

So that's that. Lima Bean was barely the size of a peach and he or she was already wait listed for day care. It's kind of hilarious if you really think about it. I mean, we don't yet own a crib, a stroller, a car seat or a single piece of clothing for Lima Bean... And yet day care is all set.

Next week we'll be taking recommendations for where Lima Bean should apply to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment