On Thursday, after consuming a bottle of orange-colored sugar liquid that tasted like a sports drink (empty bottle pictured below), I had to scoot to the doctor's office to get my blood drawn exactly ONE HOUR from the time that I took my LAST SIP --- 9:32 a.m.
This test is commonly done during the 26th to 28th week of pregnancy to check if you have gestational diabetes, which is a form of diabetes that starts during pregnancy and typically ends shortly afterward. However, if you have it, then you have to regulate your diet drastically so that you don't end up with a HUGE BABY and/or other complications.
Lucky for me, I don't have it! I credit being in shape and generally eating a healthy diet. So, to celebrate, Papa Bean and I got some gelato & sorbet today! Yum.
For those who like the numbers: Nurse Faith said they like to see people with a score of less than 130. I scored 108. Go me!
What your results mean: If your one-hour plasma glucose level is greater than or equal to 140 milligrams per deciliter of blood (mg/dL) -- some doctors place the cutoff at 130 mg/dL -- gestational diabetes is suspected and further testing is recommended. If your one-hour plasma glucose level is less than 120 mg/dL, you likely do not have gestational diabetes. (Click to read more)
My doctor's office also checked my blood for iron. They like to see patients have a score of over 32. My score was 35.7, meaning that I am getting enough iron and am healthy and doing well! to celebrate, we ate burgers at Stoney's today! Yum.
Further celebration to continue this afternoon with popsicles and cookies as we watch the Gay Pride Parade from the stoop of our condo! That's right, one of the perks of our centrally located downtown condo is that we are actually ON the parade route.
Our downstairs neighbors (who hooked us up with the Old Executive Office bowling) also just sold their condo and bought a house, so we are celebrating with one last stoop party.
No comments:
Post a Comment