Friday, May 29, 2009

So about the Spelling Bee ...

I'm not sure if you all watched the 2009 Scripps National Spelling Bee this week? I did. Because I had to cover it. So I watched A LOT of it, very closely. And it made me think ...

What would we do if Lima Bean were to somehow win a Spelling Bee and want to go to nationals?

First, I would wonder whose daughter she really is because the only "C" I have ever received in my life was in the 5th grade when Mr. Haynes gave me poor marks for my spelling. Granted, I didn't study because I felt spelling should come naturally. But still. I live by my spellchecker.

I might even second guess who her father is because Papa Bean isn't exactly known for his spelling prowess either. When I asked him a couple nights ago what he would think if Lima Bean made it to the National Spelling Bee, he responded: "Not cool."

So that brings me to the big question here: Do we support our child, no matter what they are interested in, or do we discourage certain activities and encourage others? I mean, what if she does really well at chess (like her Great Uncle Mike) or excels on the debate team but can't hit a baseball? Or vice versa?

As parents, we have preconceived notions of what we want our children to be good at. And we can help them learn things (teach them to swim, make art, write things), practice things with them (like throwing and hitting baseballs), or send them to classes to learn other things (piano, guitar, violin).

But when that smile of excitement covers their face after a victory, spelling bee or otherwise, what do you do?

I would do what one mom told me she did... Run to Barnes & Noble to pick up a spelling bee book and figure it out!

But the rule she and her son apply to their spelling bee studying could be applied to any activity: If you aren't having fun, you aren't going to do well.

And that goes for spellers and athletes alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment